I have been debating whether or not to post about the Phoenix race. I didn’t get to watch majority of the race and what I saw was here and there. Because my husband in a letter carrier with USPS, he had a rare Friday and Saturday off. This means lots of family time for us and that is exactly what happened this past weekend. With that being said, I did keep track of the race and saw the last 60 laps of the race. Congratulations to Carl Edwards! After last year’s season, this was a welcome surprise for him.
I have been perusing the websites looking for something to write about today. A couple of things have caught my eye. One of those items came out of Texas Motor Speedway yesterday. Eddie Gossage announced yesterday the National Rifle Association (NRA) will sponsor the April 13 Cup Race at TMS. I do not like to discuss my political views on my blog. My political views are my own and this is not the purpose of this blog. I will say, I believe you should have the right to own a gun. This doesn’t mean everyone should own a gun. I grew up with a father who taught me the value of gun safety and what it meant to be a gun owner. I am a gun owner. I own two rifles, one of them is my grandfather’s and the other is my father’s. I do not have them loaded and I do not keep ammunition in the house. They have not been fired in years. I keep them away from my children. I will do exactly what my father did when I was curious about the rifles. I do know Eddie Gossage is sensitive to the recent events in Newtown. If you have not seen a race at Texas, the winner gets a set of guns and a cowboy hat. The winner gets to shoot blanks in Victory Lane. Eddie Gossage has stated if a Cup Team or owner is opposed of this celebration, it will be altered. If you do not like the NRA, that is your choice as well as being a member of the NRA. I am not here to debate this issue. If you are visit often, please respect my wishes. Thank you.
Another story that caught my eye was one about Christmas Abbott. Who is Christmas Abbott? I didn’t know either until I saw her story on Headline News. She is the first woman to work for pit crew at the highest level of NASCAR. She is currently the front tire changer for Michael Waltrip Racing. She is the 8th crew member for MWR and will work as the front tire change for Camping World Truck and Nationwide Series teams. I applaud her effort to break into the male dominated world. She may not get the amount of coverage like Danica Patrick, but she is making her mark on NASCAR.
Now on to Vegas…
Tony Stewart is the defending race champion. Last year was the first time he had won a race at Vegas. In 2011, he was thisclose to winning it, but finished up as runner-up. Not to use a Vegas cliché, the odds look good for Tony this weekend. Tony has the 3rd best driver rating in the last 8 races at Vegas behind Jimmie Johnson (who has the highest and 4 victories at Vegas) and Jeff Gordon. Tony has also led 290 laps out of the 534 laps in the last two races. So if you are a betting person, I would put it all on Tony. But watch out Jimmie Johnson is in the zone. He finished 1st at Daytona and 2nd last week. And as mentioned above, he has 4 wins at Vegas. The Cup teams will be able to get some extra time in Gen 6 car. Teams will have a full day of testing on Thursday.
If you are headed to Vegas or you are already there, check out some Race Time events sponsored by Walmart. These events will be held at the following Walmarts in the Las Vegas area March 6, 7, & 8 according to the following website www.walmart.com/NASCAR. These events bring NASCAR to life. So stop on by and check out it!
- 6005 S Eastern Ave, Las Vegas 10:00-4:00
- 5198 Boulder Hwy, Las Vegas 11:30-5:30
- 4505 W. Charleston Blvd, Las Vegas 10:00-4:00
- 8060 W. Tropical Pkwy, Las Vegas 11:30-5:30
- 1807 W Craig Rd 11:30-5:30
If you are headed to the races this weekend don’t forget to stop by Walmart for all your tailgating needs. I have been to several races Texas Motor Speedway and I always make a point to stop and get stocked up before heading out to the race. did you leave home without your favorite Tony Stewart shirt and don’t want to pay all those high prices, don’t fear Walmart can help you out. In fact, Walmart was the first place I looked when needing a new Tony Stewart shirt. I can’t say it will bring your driver any luck, but I know you can get some responsibly priced NASCAR merchandise at Walmart.
Want to make it to a race, but can’t spend that much money. Walmart is offering Family Track Packs for select races this year. You can get a 4 tickets, 4 Coke Sodas, and 4 hot dogs for only $99! That’s right $99! The next race you can take advantage of this opportunity is the race at Auto Club Speedway on March 24, 2013 and then the Southern 500 at Darlington on May 11. You can head on over to www.walmart.com/NASCAR to purchase the $99 packages
Now for a little fun…
- Got some free NASCAR swag last week in the mail, a Kyle Busch cup and a Jimmie Johnson calendar. Would have loved some Tony Stewart stuff, but I don’t care. I love me some free stuff!
- I love being a NASCAR fan. Being a NASCAR fan, is different from being a fan of other professional sports teams. I feel as if all the NASCAR fans are part of a family and the last couple of weeks no different. I was able to hook up another Tony Stewart fan with a copy of NASCAR Illustrated with Tony on the front. She wasn’t able to locate any in her part of the country (California), but I was here in Texas. I also found a set of tiny SHR race cars for her as well. I thought she might like them. I didn’t expect anything in return. It was just one Tony Stewart fan helping out another Tony Stewart fan. To my surprise, she sent me a Tony Stewart car to me. That’s just how we are! Thanks Amy!
- My youngest loves Tony Stewart. He is his favorite driver (go figure). Every Sunday, I ask him the same thing…what day is it? Race Day…Who is going to win? Tony Stewart! However, he added a little to this the morning of the Daytona 500.