Bristol started out great. I was ready to watch an exciting short track race with the Gen-6 car. I was anxious to see how it would perform on this type of track. The top qualifiers had a qualifying speed of under 15 seconds. But alas, Bristol is always unpredictable. And for this Tony Stewart fan, Bristol was just a long day of watching other drivers contend for the win. Tony had a left rear going flat. He was trying to nurse it around and get to the bottom. Unfortunately he was not able to do so and BOOM, tire let go and into the wall he went. All I could think of was that Geico commercial, “Someone help me, I have a flat tttiirrreee!!”
I have to say there was some good racing going on at Bristol. As mentioned in my previous post about Bristol, Kyle Busch is a monster when it comes to this track. Sunday was no different. When he received a speeding penalty during his pit stop under the 2nd caution of the day, he started 32nd. For most drivers, they would spend most of the day mired in the pack. However, this is Kyle Busch. He managed to move his way up through the field and to make a long story short, he finished 2nd. I am telling you, if you have to place a bet with some of your hard-earned money, I would put it on Kyle at Bristol. I think I would also like to put my money on Kasey Kahne as well. He ran up front all day long. Speaking of Kasey, he has been moving up the power rankings of late. He finished with a 36th place finish at Daytona and then a 19th place finish at Phoenix. Last week he finished 2nd at Vegas and this week, he finished 1st. Congratulations to Kasey!
Now back to Tony…
It has been a rough start for Tony this 2013. He is in 24th spot, 85 points behind points leader Brad Keselowski. He has had only one top 10 finish and that was at Phoenix. This is the 2nd race of season where he was out of it early. Daytona was just a disaster and he finished 41st. Vegas was a struggle all day for him and he did finish 11th. And now his latest race…a 31st place finish. I am not worried though. Tony has a history of starting off slow, catching fire in the summer and finishing strong. I mean just take a look at his 2011 campaign. He had not won a race in the first 26 races and was on the verge of not making the Chase. And well, we all know he caught fire and scorched the Chase to win his 3rd championship. So for now, I am not on the ledge or drinking the crazy kool-aid. Maybe his luck will turn around this week at Auto Club. He is the defending race champion.
Speaking of Auto Club Speedway, you can purchase a Walmart Family Track Pack for only $99! You can purchase the pack online via Walmart.com. If you are headed out to Auto Club this weekend, you might want to checkout some of the Walmart stores in the area. You can experience Race Time at Walmart which brings NASCAR to life for race fans. You can see real show cars, experience racing simulations, sample products, and perhaps meet some NASCAR drivers. There are several WalMarts hosting this experience this weekend in and around Auto Club. I am not familiar with the area, but here is what I found out for you guys–enjoy!
- 3/21/13 10:00-4:00 @ Walmart on 4001 Hallmark Pkwy, San Bernardino CA
- 3/21/13 11:30-5:30 @ Walmart on 2050 W Redlands Blvd, Redlands CA
- 3/22/13 10:00-4:00 @ Walmart on 3943 Grand Ave, Chino CA
- 3/22/13 11:30-5:30 @ Walmart on 17251 Foothill Blvd, Fontana CA
- 3/23/13 8:00-2:00 @ Walmart on 1610 S Riverside Ave, Rialto CA
- 3/23/13 9:30-3:30 @ Walmart on 12549 Foothill Blvd, Rancho Cucamonga CA
Some final thoughts both NASCAR-related and Non-NASCAR-related…
- Joey vs Denny–The feud between these two has escalated again after Bristol. Denny took issue with Joey cutting him off on the race track. And well, Denny clipped him and spun him out. From this fan’s point of view, I thought it was just a racing deal. From what I could remember (I have slept since Sunday), Joey just got out of the groove and ended up in front of Denny. That’s it. After the race, Joey went to confront Denny about the incident and well, pushing and shoving ensued with the crews. As always the media was RIGHT there to capture the events. I did like one of Denny’s quotes after being asked what Joey said to him in the car window, “He (Joey) said he was coming for me. I usually don’t see him, so it’s usually not a factor”. I chuckled a bit on this statement. With that being said, I am not a fan of Denny Hamlin. Never have been. I think he lets the distractions get to the best of him. A couple of years ago, he had the car to beat in the championship and well, I think all the distractions that come with it, got the better of him and he lost the championship to Jimmie. He can drive the car, don’t get me wrong, I just think he is not the kind of driver I can get behind. I am anxious to see if Joey will get back at Denny later on in the season. If it were me, I would wait and then strike! I’m just sayin’!
- Commercials–There have been a couple of commercials this year that have made me chuckle. I like the one where some of the drivers are campaigning for themselves to put them on your fantasy team. My favorite in this commercial, Kyle Busch. Just too funny! Also the Coca Cola road trip commercial with Tony Stewart. Best part: Joey giving directions to Tony! And at the very end, you here that typically statement on a long road trip, “Are We There Yet?” uttered by Greg Biffle (I think). Don’t get me wrong I have always like the commercials from Budweiser, but the I am played out with the one where the guy raises the horse and then sees him years later pulling the Budweiser wagon. I swear, they show this commercial on every single commercial break! Fox–I would prefer more racing than commercials. I know you have to pay the bills and all that, but sometimes I feel like I get ten laps of racing and ten minutes of commercials.
- Duck Dynasty–if you haven’t heard of this show or let alone seen it, you have been just living in a cave in my opinion. This has got to be the funniest show on television at the moment. These guys take redneck living to a whole new level! I mean you might be a redneck if you use an old camping trailer to build a new duck blind!
- Bon Jovi–I was lucky enough to attend the Bon Jovi concert here in Raiderland. I have been a fan of them since I could remember. They put on an AWESOME concert! And I have to admit this was only the 2nd rock concert I have attended. I am more of country concert person. Rock concerts are definitely different than your country ones with the exception of Garth Brooks. He is able to combine both the aspects of a rock concert and a country concert into one.
- Karate Kid–I love this movie. I saw it in a movie theatre back in the day with my junior high Spanish club. I have been a fan of Ralph Macchio ever since. Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi ROCKS! But come on CMT, how many times a week do you need to show this movie? My hubby told me I didn’t have to stop and watch, but…how can you not? Oh well, as long as you continue to show the movie, I will be there watching! Wax On, Wax Off!!
Don’t forget…voting is still open through April 8 for you to choose the name of the Pocono 500. You can head on over at walmarturl.com/FanDriven to cast your vote. You can only vote once day, every day until April 8. Looks like “Party in the Poconos 400” has taken the early lead, followed by “Race More. Live Better 400” and “Pocono for the People 400”. Better hurry, not much time to cast your vote!