In years past I was a big fan of the road races, but the last several years have provided some exciting racing at the road courses. Part of the reason I didn’t like road racing, is you would have teams bring in what they called “road course ringers”. Teams would bring in these drivers because their current drivers just didn’t perform well on the road courses. But on the flip side, how are drivers going to get experience and improve their skills if they never get a chance to be out on the course. Anyway, I know some teams bring in other drivers, but we don’t hear as much about the road course ringers as we used to.
with that being said, I was ready to sit down and watch the race. I had my notebook in hand and was settled in my big comfy couch. I wanted to watch a race from the green to the checkers. The last several weeks I haven’t been able to sit down and watch the races. Of course, part of it may be because I didn’t want to mess with the mojo for Tony Stewart that seemed to be working (see previous posts). And just like the last couple of weeks, I didn’t get to watch the race. So the mojo was still working…sorta…see more below.
I would like to congratulate Martin Truex Jr for his victory yesterday at Sonoma. He has not had a win in since June 2007 (or 218 starts since his last win). That’s 6 years. While looking over my notes for this post, I noticed my youngest son had not even been born yet. Well, I am glad he won. He has been so close so many times this year. I like Martin Truex. I am glad for the race fans and as well as Martin that we no longer have the privilege of seeing him “lip sync” the NAPA Know How Jingle. You could tell everyone was happy for him!
Kudos have to go out to both Jeff Gordon and Kurt Busch on their finishes yesterday. First up is Jeff Gordon. He was tagged for entering a closed pit road after a yellow had been thrown. He missed it by thatmuch. But at the time Jeff decided to pit, it was still green and it was too late to change his mind. At that point, you are pretty much committed and you just take the penalty. Who knows if he had made it before the yellow, if we would be celebrating with him victory lane instead of Martin. By the way, Jeff was runner-up in yesterday’s race. All I have to say when I heard Kurt got a speeding penalty while serving his first penalty for speeding on pit road…”DOH!”. That is when you know you are having a bad day. Despite this, Kurt finished 4th. I loved what he said to his guys though, “We were fast, even on pit road, twice. I messed up, flat out. I was speeding both times.” I love it. Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that you messed up and move on.
- Once again Jimmie is still in the lead at this point in the season. But it really doesn’t matter if you lead the first 26 races, it matters what you do in the last ten. Points reset and the everyone from 1-12 is reshuffled. Right now the two wild spots go to Tony Stewart (1 win at sitting in 15th spot) and Kasey Kahne (1 win sitting in 11th). Paul Menard is sitting in the 12th position but he does not have a win this season.
- This has been such a feel good weekend for the folks of NASCAR. On Sunday, we have Martin wining after a 218 winless streak. But prior to Sunday, AJ Allmendinger took the win at Road America in the Nationwide Series. It has been a tough year for AJ. It was good to see him get a second chance in NASCAR. From all the interviews I have seen of him, he is so thankful he has been given a second chance. It was wonderful to see the joy on his face in victory lane! I loved it when he kissed the ESPN camera!
- I have to say, I wish those singers who get the wonderful opportunity to sing the National Anthem at a sporting event would just sing the song. This not a tryout for “The Voice” or “American Idol”. I don’t mind if you want to hold the notes at the end of the song. But please how some respect for our National Anthem!
- Cannot wait for BadGroove’s report from Sonoma. She always has a way of sharing her adventures that make you feel like you were right there with her. She has some of the best writing out there! If you haven’t read her stuff, you are missing out! There are days I wish my writing was even close to hers! Way to go Amy!
- I love any commercial with Tony Stewart in it. But, I have to say I am a little creeped out with his latest one involving him doing the splits. It’s just creepy! Sorry Tony, I am not loving this one. Has anyone tried the soda cookie? Just curious…
One final message…
The last few weeks I have discussed with you the idea of not messing with the mojo. I am very superstitious when it comes to sports. I myself had a specific routine when I played basketball and I followed it religiously. I know athletes at all levels I am sure are the same way. This is the reason I didn’t want to mess with the mojo. Since I started not watching the entire races (starting with Charlotte), Tony has not finished out of the top 10. To increase the mojo magic, I posted a picture of Tony holding the 2011 championship trophy prior to Dover. Guess what he won at Dover! So I have been doing this hoping the mojo would continue. Well, last week, I didn’t get to post things as I wanted due to work and home related matters. I did hold up part of the mojo magic, I didn’t watch the entire race. BUT, I DID NOT POST THE PICTURE! And Tony finished a dismal 28th place! UGH! So in order to get the mojo back to where it needs to be…here it is!