I just looked up the definition of the word “christian” on Dictionary.com and this is what pulled up…
as an adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or derived from Jesus Christ or His teachings: a Christian faith.
2. of, pertaining to, believing in, or belonging to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ: Spain is a Christian country.
3. of or pertaining to Christians: many Christian deaths in the Crusades.
4. exhibiting a spirit proper to a follower of Jesus Christ; Christlike: She displayed true Christian charity.
5. decent; respectable: They gave him a good Christian burial.
6. human; not brutal; humane: Such behavior isn’t Christian.
as a noun
7. a person who believes in Jesus Christ; adherent of Christianity.
8. a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ: He died like a true Christian.
9. a member of any of certain Protestant churches, as the Disciples of Christ and the Plymouth Brethren.
10. the hero of Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress.
11. a male given name.
Now, if I understand things correctly from definition #8, a Christian, “is a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ”. So if a person states, they are a Christian, then they should exemplify being a Christian correct? I just want to make sure if this is how I am reading the definition of this word as defined by Dictionary.com.
So can anyone out there explain to me, why someone who declares their life as a Christian one, treats their fellow human being in a very non-Christan like way? I don’t understand this at all. I try to live my life by my values that I hold dear to my heart and yes, I can and do fall of the proverbial wagon now and again, but I am just baffled by the fact that people who tout they are Christians can be so judgemental and un-Christian like. I just don’t understand how you can say you will help those who need your help, but yet turn your back on someone who could use just a little Christian kindness.
I always held to the belief this person lived a very Christian life and treated their fellow man in a christian way, but lately I have come to know the truth. You only like people around you who you consider worthy of your friendship. It’s like that 5 year old little boy who gets a shiny new toy on Christmas. He plays with the toy for awhile, but discards it when the next new shiny toy comes along. The only time he acknowledges the old toy is when that toy is getting ready to be thrown out or given away to someone. It’s the same thing with this person. Quit acting like you are better than everyone else around you because of your so called christian life. Plus don’t come around me when you don’t understand why I am upset with you or haven’t spoken to you in awhile. Just move it on down the line sister.
I apologize for the ranting today. I am just tired of getting knocked down. But as I continue to struggle every single day with this issue, I just remember these words…
You got to know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you’re sittin’ at the table.
There’ll be time enough for countin’ when the dealin’s done.
This is my life’s mantra. There are no truer words to live by in this life for me.