That is what is has been of late for me. I really haven’t had any desire to write. I don’t know what it is. It’s not that I don’t have anything to write about, but I just haven’t felt the desire to do it. There was at one time where I couldn’t wait to post something in The Park. I would spend hours developing posts and thinking about how to entertain my readers. Well, now, I just don’t know.
There’s been lots to talk about around NASCAR since I last posted something back in April (yes April…April 18th to be exact). I believe that is the longest I have gone between posts.
- All Star Weekend–I am thrilled that NASCAR now has a Hall of Fame. I still not had a chance to watch the induction ceremony (have it on DVR). I have no disagreement with the first class of the Hall of Fame. I think the 2nd class will be harder to pick. There are so many drivers who deserve to be in the Hall. I can’t wait to see who gets in. The All-Star race was interesting. I still don’t why Kyle as to be such a toot. I couldn’t tell that Denny did anything wrong. I think Kyle just drove his car into hard and well, there was Denny. I know Kyle wants to win, but sometimes you just can’t win them all. Patience is virtue and well, it may take a little longer for Kyle to get that word into his vocabulary. Speaking of JGR cars, what was up with Joey? His drive towards the front took out most of the field including Tony. Once again patience is the theme of the night. Of course, I wasn’t driving towards one million dollars. As I told Postman, I would run him up into the wall for a cool million. Next to the race, I love watching the Pit Crew Challenge. This the time for guys over the wall to shine. This is their night to shine. Little Smoke loved watching it as well especially when Tony’s team was on display. Congratulations to Denny Hamlin’s crew!
- Lawsuits–Jeremy Mayfield’s case against NASCAR was dismissed as well as the Kentucky track’s lawsuit.
- Can’t We All Just Get Along–Thank you Jeff Gordon. I hate to say it, but I was rather excited that you were giving it to Jimmie. You were racing him hard. I don’t like Jimmie. I never have. I am not saying he can’t drive his race car. He just isn’t the kind of racer that I like. I think Jeff wants to win. He has been right there in several races and it seems like he is just snakebit. I still would choose Jeff over Jimmie though. Of course Hendrick doesn’t want his two star drivers at each other, but I still think if it came down to a win for Jeff and the only car in his way was the #48…watch out! As for the Denny and Kyle feud–I really don’t care. Let them fight out on the track.
- Junior–I don’t know. I have ideas about why he isn’t performing up to the expectations of his fan base. There are times I wonder if he truly wants to be a racer. I see interviews with him and to be honest, it’s depressing. I have to say I saw him interviewed shortly after the induction ceremony and it was the first time he looked happy to be interviewed. Other times it seems forced. One of those things, “well, guess I have to do this interview because it’s part of my job” thing. I truly thought once he left DEI and drove for HMS he would have more success than he has since coming to HMS. He is getting the best equipment money can buy. He has at his disposable the best technology and resources any driver dreams of having, but just because it looks good on paper doesn’t mean it is the best in implementation.
- Wing vs Spoiler–I haven’t noticed anything different. I do know the racing has been better this year than last year.
- Day ‘o Racing–that’s right folks…Sunday is the annual “Day o’ Racing”. Indianapolis 500 in the morning/afternoon…Coke 600 in evening. This equals 1100 hundred miles of some of the best racers going for all the marbles. Even though I usually just spend the day sitting in front of my tv watching all the racing action, I am celebrating this “Day o’ Racing” with some of my friends this year. Luckily, they understand when the only thing that will be shown on the television on Sunday is racing. I have another television of course, but who wants to watch tv on 32 inch, non-HD tv in a cramped bedroom?
Finally, what I have been avoiding to discuss…the #14 team. Wow what a difference a year makes. This time last year, Tony was 2nd in the standings heading into Charlotte (Dover was after Charlotte last year) coming off a win at the All-Star race. Now…he is sitting in 14th place, just two spots outside the Top 12. There is still quite a bit of racing and we are entering the part of the year Tony traditional starts lighting it up, but if he has more bad luck, I don’t know…we will just have to watch and see what happens. Happy belated birthday Mr. Stewart!
Have a great and safe Memorial Weekend! If you see a veteran or a soldier…tell them “THANK YOU”~